Governance and Structure
Lead Academic Departments
Three academic departments in the Faculty of Medicine lead The Joannah & Brian Lawson Centre for Child Nutrition (Lawson Centre):
Dr. Dan Sellen is the director of the Lawson Centre. Appointed by the dean of the Faculty of Medicine, the director focuses on the fulfillment of the objectives of the strategic plan, the Lawson Centre's annual goals, and annual report.
The Executive Committee
The Committee includes the dean of Medicine, the director, and the chairs of the departments of Nutritional Sciences, Family & Community Medicine, and Paediatrics.
The Committee's main roles are:
- To ensure that the Lawson Centre is operating in alignment with its mission, vision, and goals
- To review the Lawson Centre’s strategic plan
- To review the annual operating plans, budget and financial statements
- To monitor compliance with U of T policies and processes
The Advisory Council
The Advisory Council consists of a balanced number of participants with expertise and interest in the fields of nutrition, health, and child development. Council members represent academic, government, NGO, and private sectors.
Appointees bring a scientific and sector perspective and have decision-making responsibilities within their member organization. Food industry and NGO participants advise on their sector leadership and support needed implementation of healthy food strategies – both locally and globally.
Advisory Council participants provide advice to the Lawson Centre on:
- Emerging child nutrition
- Related scientific issues, trends, challenges, and opportunities in national and global contexts
- Knowledge translation and science communication opportunities
- Opportunities for scientific partnerships